Sunday 14 August 2011

Is Kevin Dying Of Cancer?

Possibly. (But probably not.)

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. A lot of it, actually. When they did a biopsy of my prostate, they took samples from 16 different areas of the organ. 14 of them had cancer cells!

(The prostate surrounds part of the urethra between the bladder and the penis. Its function is to store and secrete a fluid that comprises 20-30% of the seminal discharge upon ejaculation.)

But it is not as bad as it sounds. Really. My urologist thinks it is highly likely that the cancer is entirely contained to my prostate; that is, it has not spread to the surrounding organs or entered my bloodstream or lymph channels. This means that if we remove the prostate - and that looks like what will happen - the cancer will be removed from my body. I will be completely cured. (Of course, I will have to be medically vigilant for the rest of my life to verify that remains the case. But that will just be periodic blood tests and maybe bone scans.)

You see, in the minds of most people, Cancer = Death (and it is bolded just like that in their minds, too). But that is often not the case, and I am pretty sure that will be true for me, too. As I said, I expect to be completely cured of this cancer. So let's please not have any of those scenes where you have to look sad and say, "Oh, Kevin, I'm so sorry!" and I have to look sad and say, "Well, I'm trying to be strong..." I'm just not very good at looking sad. Remember, one of Kevin's Absolute Truths is "Life sucks, but is mostly worth living."

So, of course, there are real reasons for me to be annoyed and/or bummed out. The first is that I will have to have an operation and one of my organs will be removed. That will involve a hospital stay and weeks of recovery and some pain and hassle. More importantly, the surgical removal of my prostrate will have a 30-60% chance of leaving me with impotence/erectile dysfunction (the inability to get an erection) and a 5% chance of incontinence (inability to control urination). Even if I do not ultimately end up having those problems for the rest of my life, I will definitely have them for a period of time after the operation.

I think I would really miss my erections. They and I have had a lot of good times throughout my life. And, whether or not I end up impotent, I will no longer be able to ejaculate (wow, that will be weird) or reproduce (well, "normally", anyway; all the more reason to invest in cloning research!).

The idea of lifelong incontinence problems sounds like a real drag. I am glad that the odds are very much in my favour to avoid that and I sincerely hope it all works out.

But either or both of those problems would be preferable to being dead, or even experiencing the health complications that would accompany the cancer spreading. So the operation seems like a no-brainer to me. (With regards to other treatment options - radiotherapy, hormone therapy, cryotherapy, high frequency ultrasound, etc. - my urologist believes, and I concur, that because the cancer is so widespread in my prostate, it is likely that non-surgical treatments would not get all the cancer and I would have an unacceptable level of ongoing risk.)

OK, time for some good news!

My urologist has years of experience with treating prostate cancer and performing the surgery, and he is widely respected and seen as the "go to" guy for this by my general practitioner and some other doctors I know.

Also, I have accrued enough paid sick leave at my job to cover the time required for the surgery and recovery. More importantly, my boss is totally supportive of me doing what I need to do to take care of myself.

And Australia has an excellent Medicare-for-all system that keeps medical expenses within acceptable levels, which is further helped by the private health insurance I carry to cover hospitalisation expenses. So this should not break my and Ann's finances. (However, we do have a concern for how this "history of cancer" will affect my ability to get appropriate health insurance when we eventually move to the USA.)

Finally, one benefit of having cancer is that I can use it to get out of the difficult social situations in which I occasionally find myself. Because of my "unique" way of looking at the universe and human relations, I occasionally (inadvertently) rub some people the wrong way. When I detect that someone is thinking "Kevin is a jerk!" I should be able to get myself some slack by saying, "You know, I have cancer..." (Hmmm, it may work better if I look sad, though, and that might be problematic.)

8 comments:

Steve said...

Well. Isn't that interesting? Welcome to club C. As a 24 year member I can probably relate a bit. It would be more interesting for you if a couple months out from your surgery somebody asked you to stand in the rain holding electrical appliances.

SirReep said...

Well, I'm still "sad for you," but don't feel that you have to be "strong" in return! (-:

Actually, I am very relieved that it can (probably) be completely cured, but 1) the probably part still worries me and 2) even if completely cured these things still serve to remind me of the limited battery life we've all been given. I don't want to live in a world without Kevin even if only in the far flung future.

And of course the immediate practical elements of it all SUCK big time. (Yes, things could suck bigger times, but that's always the case.)

Of course the real question is, how will this all affect the gathering next year???

djhubajube said...

I could totally imagine you saying "you know, I have cancer" and then laughing. I'm not sure that would work.

Blanche said...

Bummer! Well, if you're going to get cancer, better the prostate than some other organ. You can live without it. Nothing you can't handle, I'm sure. Still, it's a pain in the arse to have to go through all this on top of all the health issues you have with little Zupe. Ann is going to have her hands full taking care of both her boys for awhile! Sounds like you have a doctor who knows what he's doing, so I'm not going to worry about you. Well, I probably will worry but only until your next post telling us all is well. Yet another bump in the road; some bumps are bigger than others. Lord knows we all have them. This one will require more frequent updates from you! Love, Blanche

ldarley4 said...

Drag. Surgery sucks. I've had three, including, most recently, a craniotomy: recall the Franken-Lance photo. Curious... who's your demographic for the blog? (I'm referring to all the terms any college educated person can be expected to know that, here, are reworded more simply.) I know, false assumptions need be disabused.

Edmund Lowney said...

Well its looks like you've generated a replacement just in the nick of time! Excellent procrastination! Which incidentally shared many letters in common with "prostate". Which is about all I know about it prostate cancer thus far.
Someone who does know a lot is
Dana Jennings. His video on the NYT web site is incredible on its own merits:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/12/22/health/1194836233365/living-with-prostate-cancer.html

Regards,
Ed

Mizzie said...

The Bread Empire can not be with out it's Evil Master. What would us minions do? We would be running around in aimless circles!

I am pulling for you...and I am pretty sure you will prevail!

johnda said...

Just want you to know been thinking alot about you and your in my Prayers..I Love You Brother !!!!