Friday 29 April 2011

A Song For Zuperfliegen

Ann recently posted a couple of songs for Zupe on her blog. You can find them here and here. So I thought I should share a song that has meant a lot to me for many years - well before I ever thought I would have a child, in fact.



It was written by David Bowie for his newly-born son, Zowie (or, more fully, Duncan Zowie Hayward Jones) and I think it's beautiful.

Interestingly, little Zowie grew up to be Duncan Jones, the successful film director of the excellent science fiction film, Moon, and the more-recent and also excellent Source Code.

Also interestingly, Duncan attended the College of Wooster in Ohio while Ann was a professor there. David Bowie attended the graduation ceremony (of course).

Zowie, Zuperfliegen - both 'Z' names. Lots of conceptual connections!

Anyway, here's another (slightly different) version of the song, which was the first public performance. It's from the John Peel Show, June 1971.

No comments: