Wednesday 24 November 2010

The Top 10 Secrets of The Secret Bread Empire!

I included the following at the end of my presentation for the 20th Anniversary of Night of the Living Bread at Shock Around The Clock, the 24-hour horror film marathon in Columbus, Ohio.  Since my blog entry for that event was pretty long, I decided to break this into its own entry.

10. At one point, I wanted to make a Japanese-monster-style Bread Movie.  It was going to be called Destroy All Food Groups and would feature a quasi-sexual encounter between the Bread and Meat food group monsters.  I eventually scrapped the idea because I couldn't figure out an inexpensive way to make the costumes and sets.

9. The Secret Bread Empire used to be The Evil Bread Empire, but it was changed by love.

8. Zombies have been a part of my life for a long time - at least since I saw Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead in 1977 and 1978.  I was fortunate enough to be a zombie extra in George A. Romero's Day of the Dead.

7. I also appear - in illustrated form - as a zombie in issue #53 of the comic, The Walking Dead.  Look for the zombie wearing the "I'd Rather Be Playing Cosmic Encounter" t-shirt.

6. THERE IS NO SECRET #6!

5. Night of the Living Bread was sold to Polish television, where it was over-dubbed in Polish.

4. There's a hardcore metal band from New Zealand called Human that has a song titled "Night of the Living Bread", though it has no relation to my film.  Check out the cool video on Google Videos or the lesser one on YouTube.

3. When we premiered Night of the Living Bread to the world, we created a variety of promotional items to give to members of the audience.  One of these was a set of Night of the Living Bread trading cards, containing scenes, with descriptions, from the film.  Imagine what a complete set would go for on eBay today!

2. To date, no Bread film has ever been shown shown upside-down and/or backwards at a film marathon event.  (Which is a good thing, since despite becoming a tradition to show one or more films - usually trailers - in that manner, it's generally reserved for films held in low esteem by the audience!)  [OK, this was kind of a weak entry.  But I was struggling to come up with 10 items in a short period of time....]

1. Meat is not Murder.  Bread is Murder.

1 comment:

Harp On It said...

I have one of those trading card sets. Does this mean early retirement for Waldo????